Pardini Hall has renovated the former Pelican Public House, established in 1872, in the heart of Nothing Hill, hosting the third venue for The Italian Job. This includes a pub, restaurant and the cocktail bar, Salotto 900, on the second floor.
The focus of the project was to retain and rediscover all the original detailing of the time-honoured pub interior, whilst giving a twist that accompanies all The Italian Job ventures. This has been accomplished by reworking both the internal and external design and colour palette. With the use of colour and materials, the place has been divided in areas with different functions. A new copper and patterned tiled counter forms is the central focus as you enter the pub. Exposed timber floor, brought back to life, lightened space, the walls and ceiling are finished with blue tones, while brown leather furniture compliment the colour scheme. The existing fire place has been refurbished, surrounded by leather chesterfields, the wallpaper on the walls and ceiling is retained and washed with shades of blue with the texture unaltered. Fourteen new taps have been installed each providing a different draught beer, these sit on top of an untreated copper bar top.
The restaurant area is divided by meshed copper screens, globe lights hang from the ceiling and walls. The ceiling to the restaurant is clad with tin tiles aged with a white wash. This creates a more subdued lighting atmosphere. Skylights have been inserted to provide natural light during the day. Diners are invited to enjoy this cosy and warm atmosphere, coddled by rich tones of blue and copper, for a familiar but contemporary ‘pub feel’. All the ceiling services are painted, with the globe lighting a constant throughout.
The pub and restaurant are furnished with vintage pub style tables and selection of used upholstered mid-century chairs, Leather seating and chesterfields provide comfort, stools at the bar allow for a more casual approach, allowing the punter to study the fine selection of beer on tap. The use of old pub furniture together with the design and material remain rooted within the traditional and rustic feel. The external facade has been refurbished, with the use of copper leaf and blue, and leaving exposed those grand windows that create amazing effects at night with the reflection of the globe pendant lights inside.
For the upstairs cocktail bar Pardini Hall created a secret door, concealed behind a bookcase wall – to create a ‘speak-easy’ feel. The room, originally a dining room is only discovered by opening the wall behind a vintage phone. Once again the team wanted to preserve and retain all the detailing left from the original room, starting from the floor, fire place, cornice and panelling.
Grey tones contrast the timber panelled walls which cover the room, pewter, silver leaf have been used for a small cocktail bar in the corner. The local use of silver leaf is to emphasis the existing niche design and the new counter cornice. The counter top is custom built and in pewter, as are the wall lights.
High gloss paint has been used for the ceiling, enhancing the light from the chandeliers. Again the ceiling services are concealed with colour, and additional chandeliers have been installed to give an exuberance of light and sparkle which is emphasised furthermore by the reflection of the gloss ceiling. The reclaimed furniture, featuring 1920’s folding felt card and chess tables, from dark wood and brown leather amplify the feeling of a secret club.
After dark the atmosphere is elegant and sophisticated, much like the cocktail menu.